About the Far South Community Development Corporation (Far South CDC): The Far South Community Development Corporation (Far South CDC) is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit corporation, which was established to foster economic development and eradicate slum and blighted conditions in its service area. The organization, The Beverly Local Company, was founded in 1977 and initially specialized in small business loans and loan packaging for businesses. The Far South CDC service boundaries (“Calumet Corridor”) are north: 71st; south: Interstate 80; west: Cicero Avenue; and east: northwest Indiana (Lake County). The services offered are: business, food access, housing, planning and development, and workforce development.
Department Description: The Business Services Department is responsible for providing business development tasks and processes to develop and implement growth opportunities within different business districts and subregion wide. It is a subset of the fields of business, commerce, procurement, memberships, exporting, education, lending, real estate, marketing and communications, and research on best practices. The department is responsible for fostering business relationships on all levels including, but not limited to: government sectors and private and public sectors.
Job Description: This position will be responsible to assist with the day-to-day operations of the Business Services Department, which entails business, commerce, procurement, memberships, exporting, education, lending, real estate, marketing and communications, and research on best practices. The position calls for a wide variety of management skills due to the diversity of clientele the department serves. The position requires promotion of the Region to the public and private sectors through presentations is essential to the department.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Assistant Director, Business Services – SBDC: Southwest Suburban Cook County (Assistant Director, Small Business Development Center)
The position requires the Assistant Director primary activities to focus in the south suburban Cook County, such as:
• Plan and coordinate programs and activities consistent with the goals and objectives of the Illinois Small Business Development Center • Assist Director in developing internal and external resources to accomplish program objectives including:
- Actively seeking additional funding resources for department o Provide direct business advice and training to clients to fulfill SBDC target goals o Maintain a current reference library and data base as required by the SBDC program o Provide scheduled workshops and seminars to entrepreneurs and business owners o Maintain client control records and management information system o Provide timely and accurate reports to the SBDC o Develop, maintain and analyze data on program effectiveness o Promote the SBDC and the needs of the small business community o Work with Marketing & Communications Department in establishing and implementing a marketing plan that will allow for high visibility of the center o Coordinate and cultivate relationship with other SBA resource partners, local chambers of commerce, professional associations, SCORE, financial institutions, and economic development groups o Attend the following meetings: internal staff meetings, IL SBDC monthly conference call, South Holland Business Association and CSEDC meetings o Join local boards and committees o Attend IESBGA State Regional Conference & America’s SBDC National Conference
• Assist Director in completing all the work plans outlined in the Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
• Assist Director in ensuring all aspects of the business department is completed, which includes all set and proposed programs
• Assist Director in reporting documents for vouchers, time and effort documentation, client profiles, etc…
Education: University degree in a related field
Professional designation: None
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Budget and program management experience
• Strong marketing and sales orientation
• Excellent communications skills, including public speaking
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
Microsoft Office Suite & Office 365 Financial Management Project Management Software Donor Software Membership Software Internet & Phone Apps Reporting Tools
The Assistant Director, Business Services – SBDC: Southwest Suburban Cook County should demonstrate competence in the following:
• Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning. • Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team. • Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission. • Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
Experience: 2 or more years of providing business assistance experience
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Benefits Descriptions: 50% – Medical and Dental Employer Coverage | 100% – Vision Employer Coverage | 401K Savings Account Setup | Flexible Work Schedule